Robdog Snoopcat's Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The growing trend of Internet Service Providers either
charging more or planning to charge more for bandwidth
utilization is causing great concern with music/media file sharers
and online gamers.

Basically the ISP's want to move to a tiered pricing structure
so you pay much more for the increased use of network
bandwidth.

Most consumers have become accustomed to an "all you can eat"
bandwidth plan. So, those who are "fortunate" enough to know how
to steal (or in some cases legally download) music/movies or
are "skilled" enough to play online games are not paying their
"fair share" of the cost for bandwidth.

Now, it would stand to reason that a sizeable portion of these
folks who can afford high end computers ought to be able to
easily afford paying their "fair share" of the overall network cost.

My only question then is why are they complaining?

Turnabout is fairplay...

How can it be totally logical to claim "tax fairness" and tax me
at a much higher rate because I am "fortunate" enough to have
the "work ethic" to acquire the "skills" necessary to earn more
money?

I'm not "fortunate" enough to have the free time or "skills"
required to enjoy the fruits of all those downloads and hours
spent gaming.

Why am I forced to incur network interruptions or slow downs at
peek times because these folks are "playing" more but not "paying"
more?

In order to achieve true bandwidth "fairness", I'm going to ask
my congressmen to pass a law that requires these folks
to pay for more their dramatically higher bandwidth utilization.

Plus, they should be required to pay for my training in pirating music,
learning how to play the online games, and the cost I will incur
by hiring someone else to do the "work" I used to do online. This
will level the playing field and permit me to enjoy "their" lifestyle.

Note of interest...

This blog post doesn't seriously advocate "any" action taken
by the ISP's one way or the other. I simply used this situation
to show others what it feels like to get shafted by an organization
you have no reasonable recourse with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home